Link to my Education Blog

Sunday, July 2, 2017

Guest Room Mini-Makeover

Ever since we moved into our house in Charlotte almost two years ago, I have been trying to perfect every room in our house.  For me, it takes me a little while before I get everything just the way I like it and even then, I still might move things around.  It drives my sweet husband insane but he's patient and always humors me by helping me move furniture and knick knacks from different rooms in the house until I get it "just right".  Our guest room met the same fate.  I wanted to use the decorations we had from our old house in Kentucky because it was all in perfect shape and I still liked the color combinations and patterns.  Plus, it saved money!  Always a positive. 

It wasn't until today that I finally figured out the perfect balance and got the room the way I wanted it.  Granted this was after I had gone to HomeGoods, switched out a million different pillow combinations, took a rug from underneath our bonus room couch to put it under the bed just to move everything back again.   (If I cross it out, it's like it never happened, right?  Sure.)  Anyway, here is a picture of what the room looked like before.   Truly, even after looking at these pictures again, it really was a perfectly fine looking room but me and my crazy self still wasn't happy.  

After some finagling and moving things around, this is what the room looks like now.  

Switching out the turquoise curtains for white ones, made the world of difference.  The room instantly felt lighter and brighter.  
As for the bedding, the white, tufted comforter at the end of the bed is from Target and was what we had before.  I just added it to the end of the bed to add dimension and interest with added patterns and textures.  The quilt has a beautiful floral pattern that I picked up for under $40 from HomeGoods.  What a steal!

 I would love to eventually change out the builder's grade lighting for a fun, rustic chandelier but for now, it works!
 My above the bed "art" is a cheap burlap-covered memo board with a white wreath, both of which are from HomeGoods.

I really like the subtle pops of color that the fabric on the pillows adds to the room.  It breaks up all of the white and beige.  Using these pillows was important to me because my sweet mom made them for me for my first apartment.  I feel like mixing them with all of the white helps make the patterns feel more "mature.

My bedroom furniture was actually my childhood set and one of my first DIY's.  I used Annie Sloan chalk paint to give them new life and added bed risers to the bed frame to give the illusion that it is taller.  I love that I am able to have a piece of my childhood in our house.
Last, here is my sweet style assistance, Remi.  :) She has the uncanny ability to always jump up on my perfectly ironed bedding.  At least she's cute, right??
Well, that's all for now!  If you have any questions about sources or paint colors, don't hesitate to ask!  Thanks for stopping by! 


No comments:

Post a Comment