Link to my Education Blog

Monday, November 9, 2015

Update and Our Old Kentucky Home

Well, it's been a really long time since I blogged last.  My husband and I have gone through a lot of changes over the past few months.  For those of you who follow my Instagram account, @myoldkyhomedesign know that my husband recently accepted a job offer with Proctor and Gamble that moved us from Kentucky to Charlotte.  It was a corporate move and a whirlwind to say the least but we are both finally settled and acclimated to our new jobs and lives in North Carolina.  That being said, we no longer own our "Old Kentucky Home" and have purchased a new home in Charlotte.  It is a beautiful house with modern conveniences and an outlet mall that is WAY too close for my shopping addiction but I still find myself missing the charm of our first home together.  I will still try to post blogs about the old house, with what pictures I have available and will start posting about how we are making our new house into a home.  I thought that for this post, I would share some pictures of our old house and briefly explain what we did in each room.  Most of these pictures are actually what we used for the MLS when we were trying to sell our house, haha.  



So, when you first walk in the house, you walk through a very small entry way, directly into the family room.  The family room was by far my favorite room in the house.  We painted the walls a really pretty medium-dark gray color (Valspar Urban Sunrise) and accented in navy and coral.  It was such a fun pop of color that really brightened up the space.  We had a sliding glass door that walked out to our huge deck that overlooked the city.  Sigh...  Below is the view you would see as soon as you walked in the door.



Here are some other angles of the family room.











From the family room, you can walk directly into the kitchen or the dining room, both connect.  Below are pictures of the dining room.  This was another pretty large project in our house.  This room used to be a bright coral color which I actually really liked but I decided to paint it Hale Navy by Benjamin Moore and my husband and dad added wainscotting.  It ended up being the best decision because I love how it turned out. The contrast of the dark navy and the crisp white wainscoting and trim really popped.






Next to the dining room, is the kitchen.  We actually didn't have to do a lot with this room.  I was happy with the color and loved the fact that I had white cabinets and stainless steel appliances, something we do not have in our new house in Charlotte.  Maybe one day! :)




Off of the kitchen is the Master Bedroom.  We did a TON of work in this room.  The master was an addition added on by a previous owner and it was not done very well.  The ceiling had bead board attached (or lack there of) and beams that ran at an angle.  My husband and I worked on this room for weeks reattaching the bead board so it wouldn't fall on us while we were sleeping, caulking, painting, caulking more, painting more and cleaning.  Once it was finished, we were super happy with the end result.  We decided to do the same gray as we did in the family room but added an accent wall with stripes.  Here is the end result.  Sorry they are so blurry.  For some reason the pictures I have saved on my computer were really tiny and I can't find the original right now.  When I do, I'll switch them out for the better ones!







Next up, is the bathroom.  If you read my previous post, you know how much work was put into that bathroom but I really love the end result.  So light and airy. 









Next up is the guest room.  All we really did in this room was paint and decorate which was a nice change of pace from all of the other projects we had going on in this house. 




Lastly, was the office.  This one another fairly large project because EVERYTHING in this room was covered in dark wood...with REALLY thick layers of gloss.  It took a really long time to paint everything but we were really happy with out it turned out.  It's amazing the difference a little white paint makes.









Welp, that is pretty much it!  I hope you all enjoyed the "tour".  I will go into more detail of what each room looked like before and all that we did to it at another time, but for now, this very tired teacher needs to get to sleep.  Thank you for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment